Argentina has elected Mauricio Macri as their new president. Mauricio will take office on December 10th of this year. He is the son of Italian-born tycoon Francesco Macri. On an interesting note, in 1991 he was kidnapped and held ransom by the Argentine Federal Police. He was released after his family paid an alleged multi-million dollar ransom. It was during this time that Mauricio decided to enter into politics.
Where does Mauricio stand on the issues important to Argentina?
- Mauricio has in the past expressed a pro-life view point.
- When asked what he would like to change about Argentina’s current foreign policy, he replied “Everything!”
- He has promised to lower inflation, and create an environment where businesses can flourish.
- He is committed to strengthening ties with the Pacific Alliance (which is Chile, Peru, Mexico, & Columbia) and distancing Argentina from Venezuela.
- He has said that he wants to cease international alignment with Iran, and strengthen relations with the United States.
The change that the future president wants to implement will not come without difficulty. Argentina’s economy has been in the tank for years now, and they have created a welfare system that is servicing millions of people. We will see if the new elected president will be up to the challenges.
Will you join me in prayer for elected President Mauricio Macri, as we should pray for all our leaders.
I Timothy 2:1-4 “I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; 2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.”
To find out more about the new president you can visit his Wiki page here.
For more reading on the elections you can visit these articles: